Applying for a licence
The following is a list of the regulated activities that must be carried out under the licence issued by the Department of Energy:
- Desalination of water
- Generation of electricity
- Combined generation and desalination
- Performance of the duties of ADWEC
- Transmission of water by mains pipeline
- Distribution of water by mains pipeline
- Supply of water to premises
- Storage of water
- Bulk supply of water to the transmission operator
- Bulk supply of electricity to the transmission operator
- Transmission of electricity
- Distribution of electricity
- Supply of electricity to premises
- Collection of sewage from premises
- Treatment and processing of sewage
- Disposal of wastewater
If you intend to apply for a licence, please first contact the Department to discuss the procedure to follow.
For enquiries regarding licencing, please contact our licencing team:
You will then be required to submit the appropriate licence application, along with a registration fee, to the Department. A high-level assessment of the application to confirm its validity will ensue.
A valid application will then undergo a detailed evaluation to determine the prospective licensee’s legal, financial, managerial, and technical competence. The Department will endeavour to perform this assessment in-house; however, some applications may involve external consultations. Should this be required, these external costs will be recharged to the applicant in the form of an Evaluation Fee.
Once the Department is satisfied that an applicant is competent to hold a licence, a notice of intention to grant a licence is published. The notice period is for a minimum of 28 days. If no objections to the notice are received, a licence will be issued to the applicant and its activities will be regulated in accordance with the licence conditions.
Depending on the nature and complexity of the application, the overall assessment and licensing process for a Standard Licence may take three to four months. In the interests of transparency, the Department publishes on its website a copy of each Licence issued.
© 2019 Department of Energy. All rights Reserved